Lovingly maintained and set against beautiful Sussex countryside, Ham Manor Golf Club is steeped in history, with records of the site dating back to 11th century.
Thought to take its name from the ‘Manor of Hame’, the site was one of five parishes of Angmering in the 11th Century (the others being Barpham, Ecclesden, East and West Angmering). The land was initially a manor in its own right, adjoining tenanted properties that formed a small village. The original manor house was built in 1570 when it became home to the Gratwicke family, who managed to acquire the entirety of Ham as a single estate over the following 300 years. In the 1830’s, the current manor house was built to designs by Henry Harrison, which included neoclassical elements such as the stuccoed east front.
After the death of William Gratwicke in 1862, residents of Ham Manor included Henry Aubrey-Fletcher (a Deputy Lieutenant of Sussex) and F.G Savill of the Shaw Savill Steamship Line.
In 1936, Ham Manor was converted into a golf course, with the beautiful building becoming the clubhouse. During the construction of the course, remains of a Roman building were discovered, thought to be because the site lies next to Angmering Roman Villa.
Following a sustained attack on Poling Radar Station in 1940 a German aircraft crash landed on Ham Manor Golf Course. One pilot, Willi Geiger, died of his injuries, whilst the other, Kurt Schweinhardt, was taken prisoner. The plane was left on the course overnight, and had been stripped by souvenir hunters by the morning.
In 1936 Hesketh Estates Ltd form Goring Hall Golf Club Ltd to run the affairs of the Golf Club. Mr E Lane was Chairman of both companies and lived in the Club House. The first Board meeting was held on 12th November 1936 and a Club committee is formed to run the club activities. The Club President was His Grace The Duke of Norfolk, Chairman Mr T G Lumb J.P. and the first Captain was Mr G Fairlie. At the first meeting held on the 8th March 1937 84 Members were elected (46 Men, 38 Ladies) In 1962 it is agreed to offer to sell the Club and all assets to the Members. After much activity, led by the Captain E C Hoblyn the Members purchase the Club via Debentures for £43500. Ham Manor Golf Club Ltd is formed and at the first AGM, held on 26th April 1964 all assets (Course, House, Cottages, Dower House) are transferred to the new company.
After the morning round Cotton and Padgham were 2 up. Despite some excellent play by Whitcombe in the afternoon, Cotton and Padgham ended 1 up to claim victory.
Cotton 65 + 72
Padgham 67 + 69
Whitcombe 68 + 69
Adams 69 + 70
[Padgam and Adams were The Open Champion and Runner-Up Cotton went on to win The Open in July, with Whitcombe Runner-Up.]